Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day, or BRA Day USA, is an initiative designed to promote education, awareness and access regarding post-mastectomy breast reconstruction. Joining the BRA Day USA movement demonstrates an interest in and desire to educate others about breast reconstruction and women's health. Becoming a BRA Day USA supporters help shed light on the role that plastic surgeons play in performing breast reconstruction.
BRA Day USA affiliates are advocates for women's health and serve as educators about breast reconstruction options and insurance coverage for this procedure. Many women who have undergone mastectomy are not aware of the options available to them, and affiliates are striving for a better and wider global understanding of post-mastectomy choices and resources.
The BRA Day 2013 theme is the Team Approach to breast cancer care. The Team Approach brings together a multidisciplinary group of key medical professionals - plastic surgeon, oncologist, breast surgeon, radiologists and OB/GYN - who work together at the onset of a woman's breast cancer diagnosis to develop and implement a treatment plan tailored for each patient. When the Team Approach is implemented, it can result in significantly improved patient outcomes and quality of life. Informing women of their reconstruction options before or at the time of diagnosis is critically important to improving life after breast cancer.
Any and all people are welcome to start a BRA Day event in their area. There is no fee to participate and ASPS has a free BRA Day Starter Guide and Marketing/PR Toolkit available to help you plan your BRA Day activities. Examples of past BRA Day events include:
- Art contest and raffle: Ask breast cancer survivors to design a bra and auction them off.
- Educational seminar/reception
- Flash mob: Draw further attention to this cause by organizing a group to sing, dance or parade in a public place. Ask participants to dress in similiar colors, costumes, etc.
- Gala event: Host a fundraiser to support the BRA Fund a local charity. Invite medical professionals on the breast cancer care team to talk about the "Team Approach".
- Q&A Panel: Invite the breast cancer care team and breast reconstruction patients to participate in a discussion where members of the community can freely ask questions about breast reconstruction.
- Organize a run/bike/walk
- "Show and Tell" intimate event: Invite breast reconstruction patients share their results with other women considering breast reconstruction. A recent ASPS survery showed that 89% of women would want to SEE what breast reconstruction results look like before making a treatment decision.
Check out these BRA Day photos from around the country for additional event ideas.
To start a BRA Day event in your area, contact ASPS Senior Media Relations Specialist Marie Grimaldi at email@example.com for more information. Get your BRA Day Marketing/PR Toolkit today!